Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Scottish Cup Round 4 Round-Up and Round 5 Draw

One year ago I started this blog with a preview of the Scottish Cup 4th Round, this year I am doing a review instead, so that means no "games of the week" this week; instead highlights from all 16 ties in the Scottish Cup:

Friday 29th November

  1. Dundee United vs Kilmarnock (19:45)
Saturday 30th November
  1. Falkirk vs Rangers (12:15 - SKY)
  2. Albion Rovers vs Motherwell
  3. Alloa Athletic vs Stirling Albion
  4. Ayr United vs Dunfermline
  5. Berwick vs Dumbarton
  6. Brechin vs Forfar
  7. Clyde vs Stranraer
  8. Dundee vs Raith
  9. Inverness CT vs Greenock Morton
  10. Queen of the South vs St Mirren
  11. Ross County vs Hibernian
  12. St Johnstone vs Livingston
  13. Stenhousemuir vs Fraserburgh
Sunday 1st December
  1. Partick Thistle vs Aberdeen (12:45 - SKY)
  2. Hearts vs Celtic (15:00 - BBC)

Dundee United 5-2 Kilmarnock

Tannadice Park, Attendance 6979 (looked like 8500)

After early pressure from both teams, Dundee United in the Friday night match  took the lead after 26 minutes when Andrew Robertson fired it into the net from 12 yards. Kilmarnock came out firing in the second half as a mistake from Cierzniak let Darren Barr in with a lucky shot to give Killie an equaliser. Two minutes later, a fantastic shot from Chris Johnston beat Rado Cierzniak into the top corner. Dundee United came back fighting as Nadir Ciftci's cross found Stuart Armstrong to give United an equaliser after 63 minutes. Dundee United took the lead 12 minutes later when Andrew Robertson's shot from outside the box bounced past Craig Samson. Ryan Gauld won Dundee United a penalty 8 minutes later when he was fouled by Gabriel inside the box. Brian Graham stepped up and scored. Dundee United sealed their place in Monday's draw when Ryan Gauld charged down a pass back that was cleared to Gary Mackay-Steven who scored into an open goal from 25 yards.

MoTM: Andrew Robertson

Falkirk 0-2 The Rangers

The Falkirk Stadium, Attendance 6228

The first real chance in the game came after 33 minutes when Lee Wallace was through on goal with a one-on-one with Micheal McGovern, the shot which was easily saved by the Falkirk No. 1. After 57 minutes, a dive by Nicky Clark in the box resulted in The Rangers being awarded a penalty and David McCracken a red card. Justice was done as Lee McCulloch's penalty was saved by Micheal McGovern and a shot from the rebound went in but McCulloch was offside. After 67 minutes, The Rangers subsitute Fraser Aird's shot hit the bar from 12 yards out. Three minutes later, after a mistake by Cammy Bell the home side came close to taking the lead but their attack was eventually foiled by the referee.  Nicky Law gave the Rangers the lead after 88 minutes. David Templeton sealed the victory for the minnows two minutes in injury time.

MoTM: Micheal McGovern

Albion Rovers 1-0 Motherwell

New Douglus Park, Attendance 2950

This Lanarkshire derby had to be moved from Cliftonhill to Hamilton which is actually closer to Motherwell than Coatbridge due to a fire at the ground. Motherwell had the best of the chances in the first half with Rob McHugh coming right on half time from a Hammell free-kick. The game was a lot more even in the second half and Albion Goalkeeper Parry stoppped any chance from Motherwell. The tie looked like it was going to a replay  at Fir Park but in the 90th minute Gary Phillips' left foot shot beat Gunnar Nielsen to give Albion their first ever win against Motherwell, as the side third bottom of the Scottish Professional Football League have beat the side third top of it.

MoTM: Neil Parry

Alloa Athletic 3-2 Stirling Albion

Recreation Park, Attendance 1278

Stirling Albion opened the scoring after 10 minutes when Kieren McAnespie's free kick was put in by a glancing header from Jordan White. Albion were reduced to 10 men late in the first half as 18 year-old Alex Cunningham kicked out at Alloa defender Micheal Doyle. Alloa equalised after 51 minutes when they were awarded a penalty as McAnespie brought down John Tiffony inside the box, Ryan McCord scored the penalty. On the hour mark, Paul Hartley's men took the lead as Tiffony's cross was headed in by Graham Holmes. Jason Marr sealed the win in stoppage time as he scored from close range. Albion got one back in this Central derby as Graham Weir scored a stunner from 25 yards but it was too little, too late for Stirling.

MoTM: Jonathan Tiffony

Ayr United 1-1 Dunfermline

Somerset Park, Attendance 1391

Ayr dominated much of the first half but Dunfermline took the lead as Andy Geggan finished off Millen's cross. Ayr United got a goal which gave them a deserved replay just before the hour mark as Micheal Donald finished from ex-Hearts and The Rangers striker Kevin Kyle.

MoTM: Micheal Donald

Berwick 1-3 Dumbarton

Shielfield Park, Attendance 406

The League Two side took the lead after 8 minutes when Lee Currie scored a wonder free kick from 25 yards. Dumbarton equalised after half an hour when a handball from Stephen Tulloch inside the box gave Bryan Puntry the opportunity to give the team from the Rock an equaliser and he did. Two minutes from half time Dumbarton took the lead when Puntry's through ball to Mitch Megginson whose shot went into the bottom left corner beating Bald. Dumbarton sealed a place in the hat 10 minutes after half time when Scott Linton's shot beat the Berwick goal keeper.

Brechin City 1-1 Forfar Athletic

Glebe Park, Attendance 724

Nothing beats an Angus derby and temperatures where rising since the off as Stuart Malcom (Forfar) was sent off for pushing Derek Carcary off the ball after 8 minutes. Brechin's Ewan Moyes was the next to be sent-off, he halved Chris Templeman just outside the box and denied a goal scoring opportunity. Fifty-three minutes in Carcary's cross was turned in by Alex Trouten. However Forfar forced a replay at Station Park as Martyn Fotheringham's late free-kick was deflected in, in stoppage time. Mark Baxter was sent-off for his second yellow after 95 minutes.

Clyde 1-1 Stranraer

Broadwood Stadium, Attendance 

The League Two leaders Clyde got an excellent start to this game as after only a quarter of a hour Keiran McDonald's well placed header beat the struggling David Mitchell to the back of the net. One minute before half time Jaime Longworth caught the Clyde defence on the break and earned a reply next Tuesday at Stair Park. Stranraer captain Frank McKeown worked through the night (Friday) as a fire fighter at the scene of the tragic helicopter crash at the Clutha pub in central Glasgow.


Dundee 0-1 Raith

Dens Park, Attendance 3184

The Funniest goal in Scottish Cup fourth round was scored in a fairly uneventful game at Dens as it was scored after only 8 minutes when Jason Thompson's run was halted on the end of the box Gary Irvine's pass back to the goalkeeper was ignored and bobbled in the goal to provide the men from Kirkcaldy the winner at Dens.

Inverness CT 4-0 Greenock Morton

Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Attendance

After 44 minutes Inverness were awarded a penalty as Craig Reid fouled Ross Draper inside the box. Nick Ross gave the highlanders an advantage going into half time. Half Time was 40 minutes long as a sub-station failure plunged Inverness into darkness. Billy McKay killed off any chance of a famous cup-shock after 71 minutes when Carl Tremarco's cross was headed in by the Northern-Irishman. McKay scored his second when Aaron Doran's pass gave the SPL's top scorer (last season) a one on one with the Morton Goalkeeper. Late in stoppage time Inverness made it 4-0 when Scott Taggart was sent-off for fouling Agdestein in the box which Doran scored.

MoTM: Billy McKay

Queen of the South 2-2 St Mirren

Palmerston, Attendance 2176

St Mirren took the lead after nine minutes when Conor Newton's shot went in from the edge of the box. Queens then equalised, ten minutes from half-time, when Ian McShane's free kick went to Iain Russell whose left foot shot went in from ten yards. Saints took the lead again, this time six minutes after half time when Sean Kelly's cross found the waiting Steven Thompson inside the box who beat Zander Clark to the far corner. The men from Dumfries weren't leaving empty handed as, 18 minutes from time a cross headed by Paul Burns to Micheal Paton found the back of the net from 8 yards out. Queens held on to the onslaught by Saints to earn themselves a replay at St Mirren Park.

MoTM: Steven Thompson

Ross County 0-1 Hibernian

Victoria Park, Attendance 2213

Hibs started the game the stronger of the won with only 20 minutes on the clock Hibs had their first chance, as Liam Craig's corner eventually found Paul Cairney whose resulting shot was mishit and almost cleared the small stand behind the goal. Hibs took the lead eleven minutes later, as Liam Craig's pass found Danny Handling inside the box who took a shot and beat Mark Brown from 15 yards out. It looked like Hibs were going to keep their advantage but Ross County were helped after 71 minutes when Cairney's storming run past the  County defence was stopped when it looked like he stumbled and fell over the goalkeeper. The referee subsequently booked him for diving and since it was his second yellow he was off. Late in the game, Terry Butcher took off substitute Ross Caldwell, Caldwell walked straight into the tunnel as he walked past and ignored the Hibs boss.

MoTM: Liam Craig

St Johnstone 2-0 Livingston

McDairmid Park, Attendance 2294

The Saints have been playing some good football this season,and they made sure the did not slip up on a potential banana skin that came from Livi they took the lead after 24 minutes as Steve May scored an effort from 25 yards out as the pass came from McDonald. After 64 minutes, May's corner missed the keeper an found the feet of Sanel Janic who tapped the ball in and secured Saint Johnstone's place in the last 16.

MoTM: Steve May

Stenhousemuir 3-0 Fraserburgh

Ochillview, Attendance 487

The only non-league team left in the Scottish Cup was Fraserburgh of the Highland League, they faced a tough task away to League 1 Stenhousemuir. After 63 minutes, the Broch failed to clear a cross which led Ross McNeil giving the home side the lead. Two minutes from the end Fraserburgh's hopes were extinguished as McNeil's shot from the outside of the box slipped out of the hands of the Broch's goal keeper and went into the net. In stoppage time salt was added to the wound as Bryan Hodge's through ball was slotted home by Errol Douglas to make it 3-0. But the Highlanders can go back up North with their heads held high.


Partick 0-1 Aberdeen

Firhill Stadium, Attendance 3642

Four minutes in  and Andrew Considine headed in after leaving his marker (Craigen)  from a Barry Robson corner. Ten minutes later a Peter Pawlett shot from long range was saved by Scotland international Scott Fox. Aberdeen should have been 2 or 3 up at half time. 49 minutes in, a Barry Robson corner was spilled by Scott Fox but he was able to recover the ball. Partick had a chance on the hour mark when Sinclair's cross found the head of Doolan who headed just wide. Aberdeen were able to see out the game and sealed their place in the fifth round.

MoTM: Peter Pawlett

Heart of Midlothian 0-7 Celtic

Tyncastle Stadium, Attendance 10,636

It only took Celtic three minutes to get the breakthrough with a left foot shot from Kris Commons. 12 minutes in Lustig's shot was blocked by Hammell and the follow up well over the bar. 18 minutes in and Hammell's shot from 25 yards was just wide of the post. A quick free kick from Lustig let Commons through and gave Celtic a 2-0 lead 20 minutes in. Just after the half hour mark, after Stokes hit the post Brown followed up and scored Celtic's third. Celtic made it 4 after 42 minutes as a cross in front of goal gave Joe Ledley a tap in. One minute later, Mikael Lustig made it 5 from 25 yards out beating McDonald in an identical shot to James McFadden's goal against France. At half time it was Hearts 0-5 Celtic. On the hour mark a penalty was awarded as Danny Wilson appeared to handle the ball in the box and Commons converted to make it 6-0. After 74 minutes, Brown's half-volley  from 18 yards took a deflection and beat McDonald to make it the "magnificent seven". 

MoTM:  Kris Commons

Fifth Round Draw

  1. Alloa Athletic (SC) vs Dumabrton (SC)
  2. Clyde (SL2) or Stranraer (SL1) vs Inverness Caledonian Thsitle (SP)
  3. Hibernian (SP) vs Raith Rovers (SC)
  4. Albion Rovers (SL2) vs Stenhousemuir (SL1)
  5. Brechin City (SL1) or Forfar Athletic (SL1) vs St Johnstone (SP)
  6. Celtic (SP) vs Aberdeen (SP)
  7. Dundee United (SP) vs St Mirren (SP) or Queen of the South (SC)
  8. The Rangers (SL1) vs Dunfermline Athletic (SL1)
Ties to be played weekend 8/9 February. 

No comments: